Monday, December 22, 2014

Ignorance Can Be Cured, Stupid is Forever




After 3 weeks of being on my bedside table due to my busy schedule, I got to finish reading what is probably one of funniest yet most intelligent book I've read in a long time (the last time was Lord de Veyra's This is A Crazy Planets 2). This book by probably the most popular politician and intellectual in this country, Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago was released earlier this month and copies was sold within the day. On the day of the launching, first 100 booknuts got a pre-singed copy and first 200 got a photo op. I artived about an hout after the store opening but I didn't even make the lucky list. The line alone to the cashier was ridiculously long and seeing how many people waited for hours just to get a copy felt really good. My initial reaction seeing many people - young and old alike- crowding the National Bookstore in Trinoma that day was, "May pag-asa pa ang Pilipinas".

The 132-page book is collection of jokes, pick-up lines that we see her deliver on TV and transcripts of some of the Senator's most famous commencement speeches. 

The humor, sarcasm and satire in each page is very heart-warming yet sad at times. Every chapter will make you cringe, laugh, shake your head, and laugh once again. I took it one page at a time and it surely was a wonderful journey. But of course, there is no better feeling that reading the thoughts of the bravest woman I know.

Long live Sen. Miriam!



No comments:

Post a Comment